5 Characteristics of Modern House Plans
Brought to you by ProVia
What comes to mind when you hear the term “modern house plans?” Do you think of a home with a shed roof, a monochrome color scheme, and cool (or quirky, depending on your taste) curb appeal? Or, is a modern house plan simply a blueprint that presents a contemporary layout and modern amenities? Either answer can be correct. Below are five common characteristics of modern house plans.
1) Open floor plan – An open floor plan means there are no walls separating the kitchen from the main living space. This type of modern interior design allows the chef of the house to prepare meals while still being engaged with guests, kids, or their significant other. What’s more, it often makes a home feel bigger than it actually is. Also, fewer walls generally means a cheaper cost to build.
2) Outdoor living/indoor-outdoor flow - Modern house plans often sport lavish outdoor living areas, such as spacious porches, patios, or decks for seamless indoor-outdoor flow. Much like an open floor plan, outdoor living combined with indoor-outdoor flow often makes a home feel bigger than it actually is. It also increases the amount of entertaining space without augmenting the amount of heated square footage.
3) Lots of windows – A modern house design will almost always feature multiple large windows, or even walls of windows, to facilitate maximum indoor-outdoor flow. More windows also let more sunlight into a home, which may decrease the need for lights and thus lower electricity costs. Speaking of costs, consider installing energy efficient windows that can help keep heating and cooling expenses at a minimum.
4) Clean lines – You’re not going to see a lot of rounded towers, turrets, nooks, or excessive ornamentation in a modern-style home. Modern home exteriors are often minimalistic, with clean straight lines and simple splendor.
5) Mix and match – Contemporary/modern plans will often incorporate a mixture of styles. Adding wood or stone accents to a sleek modern home design tends to be especially stunning.
Photo by Marty Shoup. Design by Synergy Design & Construction.
Modern farmhouse plans are also super-popular right now, as they combine the warmth and charm of a traditional farmhouse with the clean straight lines of a more modern design. And it doesn’t stop there! Modern cottages, modern Craftsman layouts, modern ranch designs, and modern Southwestern home plans are also a thing, as are traditional-looking plans that boast modern details (e.g. a Colonial-style home with a modern open floor plan).